Winter brings the onset of seasonal affective disorder. Where does one go for a sunny day in Canada? Calgary takes the spot as a major centre with the most sunny days. Considering the oil market, they appear to need it. Vancouver with 154 rain days ranks just behind Prince Rupert as the cloudiest part of Canada. But at least when you live in Vancouver, at least you are in Vancouver.
Those of us in other parts of the country must turn to the Amazon. Not the river, the shopping platform. Here you can purchase your own light therapy box. Light therapy impacts brain chemicals linked to mood and sleep and eases SAD symptoms.
We have the Northern Light Technologies 10,000 lux desk light. Minimal UV radiation since you don’t want to fix one problem and cause an even greater melanoma problem.
Ignore the pictures showing people sitting in a chair enjoying a coffee. Read the brochure, but generally the light box should be within 18 inches of your face for maximum effectiveness. The exact distance that your mother always warned you about when you watched TV.
Perhaps 15 minutes a day in the morning ought to do it. Just keep a consistent schedule and do all those other things that your mother told you to do. Get outside and play.
My new book is now on Amazon!
Apparently, the unexamined life is not worth living. I had an inkling that this would be lot of work. So like most renovation projects, I hired someone to do it for me.
This is not the same as losing one’s mind since I roughly know where it is when it managed to untether itself. I get texts from it every now and then, and its credit card statements keep appearing. If I arranged a personal line of credit for it, then who knows where it might end up. I doubt I would see it again.
A wandering spirit sounds like a good thing to have. If you have a wandering mind, then that suggests you have a lack of concentration. Or perhaps better, the whatever is going on in front of me does not require that much concentration.
Any particular thought can bring in a range of associative thoughts. A good analogy may be a mind like the holiday tree decorations. The entire tree may be completely dark, but the moment you flick a switch, then everything comes alive. So I seem to focus away from the finger flipping the switch, being what everyone else is focusing on, over instead to the various lights illuminating the tree.
The connection may not be immediately obvious to anyone else, but I can see the holiday tree being lit up in my mind continually.
When mediating at your desk in an open office concept causes the stress the mediation is attempting to alleviate, then I suggest the eight manila folder path of work Buddhism.
- Right vision of the nature of reality. Unless you have managed to follow your bliss, work will continue to be ‘work’. Life was not meant to be painless. Accepting this gives you control.
- Right attitude. Using your emotional intelligence to understand that some co-workers may be jerks and may continue to be that way. Learn the work arounds.
- Right speech. Speak truth to power. Understand there are other perspectives and respect them. Just don’t turn your back to them.
- Right Action. Be ethical in all your dealings. Don’t be the jerk noted in 2 above.
- Right livelihood. This follows the principal of non-exploitation. Treat everyone as you would like to be treated. Refer to item 4 for further elaboration.
- Right effort. A path of wholeness. A Conscious evolution. Even if you don’t understand how your work matters, it matters to someone. Even if it’s eventually just yourself. Be the best of what you do.
- Right mindfulness. Train yourself to fully aware of things, oneself, feelings and reality. Become fully aware of all the great things you are doing. It all matters. Be mindful of the jerks in 2, but don’t lease any more space in your mind to them.
- Right focus. Literally to be on a single object. If you think you are good at multitasking, go back to 1 and just accept you aren’t.
Being clear minded on all things allows the stressors to drop off and the Zen emerges.
That’s torn it would be the polite english verision of FUBAR (F**ked up beyond all repair).
These sayings mainly apply to things outside of ourselves. Fortunately, we have physical, mental and spirtual healing powers.
We are never completely Torn.
The origin of life continues to amaze me. Even if we have created the simplest building blocks of life in a test tube, these only constitute basic amino acids. Making the leap to proteins and simple cell creatures from these basic particles would be similar to continually blowing up a pile of bricks and trying to make a house. Yes, perhaps an infinite amount of time might get you there, but even infinity would not be long enough based on probability.
Divine intervention? Not sure about that.
Finding even the crudest form of life on another planet would prove that given enough time, life happens.